Numsa disputes violent strike videos

Numsa disputes violent strike videos
NUMSA attack on SA Metal 4th July 2014

After forwarding a video depicting striking workers petrol bombing a Vulcania Reinforcing factory on the East Rand last week, Numsa national spokesperson Castro Ngobese said no evidence was provided to Numsa showing members break picketing rules.

“In the absence of credible evidence, the union can’t invoke its disciplinary code which deals with acts outside the code of conduct,” said Ngobese.

Another video surfaced over the weekend, entitled ‘This is how Numsa members attacked me at work on Friday’. The video on YouTube says it was uploaded by a Graham Khan from SA Metals.

It depicts alleged Numsa members forcing open a gate and storming onto private property.

A motorist – believed to be Khan – then speeds off in a white vehicle. It ploughs through the gate and hits a truck. This after strikers pelted the vehicle with sticks and stones.

Comment from Khan could not be immediately obtained.

Following violent Numsa attacks at packaging company Forte Plastics in Apex on the East Rand last week, owner David McFarlane lambasted the union.

In an open letter to Numsa, McFarlane said he had never seen such a lack of empathy.

“The right to strike doesn’t mean the right to be a thug,” said McFarlane.

“Whilst I respect your right to strike should you have discrepancies with your employers, non-striking workers also have rights. This kind of behaviour is not acceptable.”

Two of his employees had been hospitalised after being attacked by alleged Numsa strikers.

Ngobese maintained that since the commencement of the strike, members had exercised high levels of discipline and maturity in line with the union’s disciplinary code of conduct.

“In the absence of credible evidence, the union can’t invoke its disciplinary code which deals with acts outside the code of conduct,” he said.

Striking members demanded a 12% wage increase across the board and the scrapping of labour brokers.

“As long as employers are not conceding these reasonable demands, the strike continues indefinitely,” said Ngobese.

Source

 

 

South Africa Today – South Africa News