Do you use Uber to travel? If you do, please read and share, it might save a life!
Case of rape, kidnapping, and robbery opened after female victim was kidnapped and raped after getting into what she thought was an Uber taxi outside Monte Casino.
Two men were lying down in the back of the vehicle, and when the victim got into the vehicle, the perpetrators tied her up, locked her in the boot, and drove her to an ATM which was over an hour away.
She was then assaulted and forced to withdraw money, before being taken to a veld and raped.
The Uber system is designed to prevent this type of incident from occurring, so make use of the information and functionality provided. Always do the following BEFORE getting into the vehicle:
– Download the Über app to your phone – When making a booking this gives Identity details on the driver and vehicle.
– Verify that the driver looks like the photo shown to you by the app after making a booking;
– Ensure that the vehicle license REG plate matches the one that was sent to your phone after making the Uber booking;
– If you wish to be extra cautious, verify that the vehicle license REG on the license disc on the windscreen is the same as the REGISTRATION which was sent to your phone when making the Uber booking;
– If you are uncertain, ask the driver for his Drivers Card ID card or RSA ID, and check that the name on the ID matches the name given to you by the trip booking confirmation on your phone;
– Tell friends or loved ones when you book, leave and arrive so that they can raise an alert if you go missing, and so that there is a point of reference for investigators in the event that you are abducted.
South Africa Today – South Africa News