Condolences as Pik Botha passes away

SANews.gov.za

0
Pik Botha. Photo: YouTube - Eyewitness News
Pik Botha. Photo: YouTube - Eyewitness News

President Cyril Ramaphosa has sent his condolences to the family of former Mineral and Energy Affairs Minister Roelof “Pik” Botha, who passed away in the early hours of this morning.

“President Ramaphosa’s thoughts are with the family, friends and former colleagues of Mr Botha who served as Minister of Mineral and Energy Affairs for two years under the leadership of President Nelson Mandela,” said the Presidency in a statement.

Botha, 86, passed away in Pretoria after an illness which saw him admitted to a Pretoria hospital last month.

Prior to 1994 Botha had served as Minister of Foreign Affairs for 17 years – which still stands as a world record in the diplomatic community.

Born on 27 April 1932 in Rustenburg, he completed his B.A. LL.B at the University of Pretoria and in February 1953 joined the then apartheid South African Department of Foreign Affairs.

In 1975 Botha was appointed South African Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to the USA, combining this post with that of permanent representative at the United Nations.

Botha was appointed Minister of Mineral of Energy Affairs in democratic South Africa’s 1994 Cabinet under President Mandela.

He resigned from this post in May 1996.

In 2000 Botha who had previously was the deputy leader of the National Party, applied for African National Congress membership as well as publicly expressing his support for then-President Thabo Mbeki.

President Ramaphosa said Mr Botha would be remembered for his support for South Africa’s transition to democracy and for his service in the first democratic administration. – SAnews.gov.za

South Africa Today – South Africa News

Related Post

AfriForum petitions parliament over Eskom and fuel... The civil rights organisation AfriForum submitted two petitions on 11 December 2018 to parliament regarding Eskom and the fuel levy respectively. M...
ANC kicks out members The Gauteng ANC's authority structure kicked out the previous MEC for health, Qedani Mahlangu. She and Brian Hlongwa were requested to withdraw as mem...
BLF warns of violence across SA should they be bar... The extremely radical and controversial leader of the Black First Land First (BLF) says there will be violence if the Independent Electoral Commission...
Notorious Glebelands gunmen to spend 31 years in j... On Tuesday, 11 December 2018, the Durban Regional Court sentenced Mawethu Maquthu (31) to 15 years for murder, five years on two counts of attempted m...
Disclaimer: The views of authors published on South Africa Today are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of South Africa Today. By viewing, visiting, using, or interacting with SouthAfricaToday.net, you are agreeing to all the provisions of the Terms of Use Policy and the Privacy Policy.