Having a home aquarium is one of the best ways to improve your mental health, especially during these stressful times full of uncertainties. It is almost similar to having a pet or a support animal to provide you with comfort and love. When you walk into a doctor’s office or a health clinic, you will notice that most of them have aquariums to calm their patients down and to help them cope with stressful situations. In addition to therapy, aquariums all add beauty and class to a space; you cannot miss it. Let us have a look at how a home aquarium can help you mentally.
- Improved Quality of Sleep
A good night’s sleep is crucial for your mental health. It reduces both physical and mental fatigue and gives your mind a chance to rest and reset for the next day. However, some people suffer from sleep deprivation, commonly referred to as insomnia. Watching your little fishes swim around in the aquarium before bedtime can soothe your brain and prepare you for a good night’s sleep. You can also set up the fish tank in the bedroom as it can be a source of white noise, which can improve the quality of your sleep.
- Reduced Stress Levels
A home aquarium can provide a calming effect after a stressful day at work. The sound of the fish and the water just has a way of soothing one down and helping you relax. This is the main reason why you will find fish tanks in extremely stressful environments like hospitals. An aquarium works the same way as your pet running to meet you when you get home. The best feeling ever!
- Lowered Blood Pressure
If you suffer from high blood pressure, then a home aquarium is the perfect therapy treatment for you. When you are calm and relaxed, then your heart rate becomes normal hence a lowered blood pressure. Having a fish tank at home is like experiencing the magic of nature in the comfort of your home.
- Focus Boost
We have established that having an aquarium at home can reduce your stress levels and help you stay calm and relaxed. As a result, your focus and creativity will be boosted. This is critical especially for those who are working from home during these covid times. Invest in a fish tank if you want to increase your productivity at work.
Tips for a Fresh Fish Tank at Home
Setting up a home aquarium takes time and effort. You have to study the requirements of the type of fish you want to keep in your fish tank before embarking on the setup process. This will enable you to provide them with the food and care that they need. You have to care for them before they can care for you. Let us have a look at some of the tips for having a stress-free fish tank at home.
- Invest in a Good Quality Fish Tank: A fish tank should be made of strong glass that does not crack or break easily. Most fish tanks are made of tempered glass at the bottom in order to withstand the weight of the tank and the water inside. Before buying a fish tank, ensure that you have adequate knowledge on the best kind of glass for home aquariums.
- Increase Oxygen Circulation: Fish need oxygen to survive, and one of the ways to maximize oxygen in your fish tank is the use of powdered molecular sieve for generating oxygen. You can also increase the surface area of the fish tank and include some plants inside your aquarium to produce oxygen for the fish to breathe in.
- Schedule Feedings: Pets have a feeding schedule that they get accustomed to over a period of time. This applies to fish too. Once they know that they will get their first meal of the day at eight in the morning then they will always be looking forward to that. Create a feeding schedule for the fish and strictly adhere to it. A routine is also good for you and helps you stay alert and focused. Feeding time for pets is also a good way of bonding with them and showing how much you care for them.
- Schedule Water Changes: Fish excrete in water, and with time the water gets dirty and unsafe for them. A fish tank is not like the ocean, where they can always swim to cleaner waters, so they completely rely on you to provide them with a clean home. Instead of physical water changes, you can connect your fish tank to a water source using the best Indian butterfly valves. This can enable you to create an automated system whereby dirty water drains out as clean water comes in. This can be a weekly procedure, spending on the condition of the water.
You might not have enough space in your house to set up a home aquarium, but that does not mean that you cannot enjoy the benefits of one. There are public aquariums in malls and other public spaces that can still help you relax and calm your mind. Make it a point to visit one anytime you feel anxious and stressed. Prioritize your mental health over everything else, and you will see the long-term benefits of a healthy mind.