Over the past few decades, technology has progressed to the point where almost every device or piece of machinery requires a power source. Some of these applications use grid-power, while others use stored power solutions, such as batteries.
To keep up with technological progression, battery manufacturers have been exploring new ways of storing power. Lithium-ion is leading the way in terms of providing seamless power with minimal maintenance.
An energy dense mineral with endless possibilities
Lithium energy is a mineral that, when combined with other energy dense chemicals, becomes an effective alternative to lead-acid batteries. In the simplest of terms, a lithium-ion battery contains a negative electrode (anode) and a positive electrode (cathode) that transfers lithium between the two materials. This effectively creates a power source that is long-lasting and immediate.
Benefits for industry
Many industry giants are often on the lookout for new tools and technology to enhance operations and give them the edge over competitors. However, doing so requires substantial research and development, along with intense testing to ensure they receive a welcome return on investments. This is where the benefits of lithium-ion come to the fore. Some of these benefits include,
- A longer lifespan, providing additional years of operational use
- Higher performance due to a high energy density
- Greater efficiency because they charge up to 30% faster than lead-acid batteries
- Minimal maintenance as lithium-ion does not include battery watering and other battery maintenance
- Sustainable as they reduce the reliance on non-renewable energy resources.
Despite the many benefits, there is one drawback to lithium-ion batteries – namely, the cost of production when compared to producing lead-acid batteries.
The light at the end of the tunnel
“We need to not only be battery manufacturers and sellers, but also solution providers that meet the needs of our customers”, said Murray Long, Managing Director of First National Battery. What this proves is that South Africa’s trusted battery manufacturer is committed to meeting the demands of its consumers, including staying relevant by adopting new technology and leading the way in power storage solutions.
For more information on how First National Battery can upgrade your facilities with lithium-ion, visit www.battery.co.za.
- New dawn for First National Battery as we take advantage of the allure of Lithium-ion technology – Written by Olwethu Ngwanya (R&D Engineer)