The dictionary meaning of education is the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university. What does the word systematic present in its definition mean?
The definition of systematic instruction depends on students and every student is gifted with different skill level, so to make the process of giving the instructions systematic, it is important to bring timely modifications in the education system as per the need of children.
In this highly digitalized world, the best form of the education system will be the one that molds itself according to time, giving equal importance to both traditional principles of education and modern ways of education.
The article shares few ideas that can be utilized in the present education system to bring the best out of the students, thereby benefiting both teachers and students.
- Flipped Classroom- A perfect concept to bring out creativity from students…
The flipped classroom is a systematic concept to pass on the instructions strategically in which the traditional learning environment is reversed.
The instructional content is delivered online, outside the classroom and classroom time is spent by applying the theoretical knowledge practically under the guidance of a teacher, converting a classroom to be a place considered for homework.
The model is represented by a 30-to-70% ratio of online to face-to-face learning. The other benefits of incorporating flipped classroom pattern in the education system are:
- Efficient for teachers– A study says that 96% of teachers who have flipped a lesson would recommend that method to others.
- Students can learn at their own pace- 9 out of 10 teachers noticed a positive change in student engagement since flipping their classroom.
- Weak students get proper attention- At Villanova, Weinstein helped lead a pilot program for flipping engineering courses and it was found that the result was more than 10 percent higher than in a traditional classroom (the difference between a D+ and a C) and more than 3 percent higher for the class as a whole (moving from a C+ to a B-).
The concept of Flipped Classroom stands on the following pillars:
- F– Fun-filled, informative lectures
- L– Leverage technology
- I– Increase student engagement
- P– Provide opportunities for active learning in the classroom
- P– Prioritize practical application of theory
- Outside Learning- Nature is a far better teacher than four walls…
The entire world is a laboratory to the inquiring world. The outside learning is not a new concept; it was just locked in between the four walls but now people are becoming aware of its importance and have started to implement it in the present education system. Students will definitely think out of the box when they are out of the box.
The benefits of bringing outside learning in the present educational curriculum are as follows:
- Boosts self-esteem of students- Nature is not only the playground that keeps kids physically fit, it is also a temple for their mental fitness. A study proves the increased level of motivation in students taking a part in an environment-based education programme.
- Better academic score- Teachers and parents keep on hitting the mind of students with tough concepts with a single motive of the good academic score. However, studies find that students active in outdoor learning tend to produce better academic results than others.Students from 11 schools scored higher than students of traditional systems in 72% of assessments in everything from math and science to attendance after studying on an outdoor curriculum basis.
- Bring out creativity from the students- Taking students outside for practically implementing their theoretical knowledge will knock their tiny, creative minds with lots of queries that will even amaze teachers and parents.
- Animated education world- Makes study fun and efficient…
A study finds that a 3-year old toddler’s brain is twice as active as adult’s brain. So, don’t under-estimate their imagination and creativity. Just feed them with seeds of information and water those seeds with animation for fruitful results. All the complicated subjects can become simple and easy for students with help of animated videos.
Small students love to hear anything in form of stories, so all the complex topics can be turned into a story using animated videos and then can be presented before students so that they easily grasp the concept.
Using animation in the field of education is beneficial for students in following ways:
- Improves communication skills.
- Make technical skills easy to learn.
- Facilitate thinking and problem solving
- Give wings to the imagination and rational thinking.
Capturing the student’s attention is the biggest task of any teacher and to justify this task, they need to keep on modifying their teaching skills for the betterment of students. Classroom experience should be redefined and should be occupied with innovative ideas that make teaching and learning fun and informative.
David the private Tutor at Home Tuition Agency – ChampionTutor in Singapore and as well as creative writer. He has been in the teaching industry of last 15 years. He is very much connected with technology.