Namshi, one of the leading fashion ecommerce platform of the Middle East & North Africa that is now owned by Emaar Malls, has appointed former Lazada and Amazon executive Felipe Garcia as its Cheif Executive Office, the Dubai-based company revealed in a LinkedIn post last month.
The position had become vacant in March earlier this year when Hosam Arab, Namshi’s former CEO, who was also one of the co-founders of the startup left the company. Hosam had stepped down from his role less than two weeks after Namshi that had started as a Rocket Internet company was fully acquired by Mohamed Alabbar’s Emaar Malls.
Emaar Malls had first acquired 51 percent of Namshi in March 2017 for $151 million and the rest of 49 percent in February earlier this year for $129.5 million.
Felipe, before joining Namshi, was serving the leading Southeast Asian ecommerce platform Lazada as Director of Fashion. Lazada, also founded by Rocket Internet, is majority-owned by Alibaba Group. The Chinese ecommerce giant had acquired a controlling stake in Lazada in 2016.
South Africa Today