Cooling towers may well be one among the foremost crucial components of any Industrial and commercial process. They are tall, top opened, cylindrical shape and we operate them for cooling water generated from industrial or HVAC comfort cooling method.
To better facilitate your perceive regarding the mechanical draft cooling system nowadays, we’ve compiled this quick guide for you:
Before begin you must understand one thing regarding natural draft Cooling Towers that depend upon natural convection to flow into air throughout the tower, that then cools the water.
Air movement happens because of variations in density between the coming into air and also the internal air at intervals the tower.
Warm, moist air, that is a lot of dense than cool air, can naturally rise through the tower, whereas the dry, cool air from outside can fall, making a relentless cycle of air flow.
Mechanical Draft Towers:
On the contrary natural draft towers as compared to mechanical draft towers uses fans or alternative mechanics to circulation of Air in them.
Normal devices that we utilize in these towers are propellor fans and centrifugal-flow. Mechanical draft towers are more practical than natural draft towers, and might even be set within a building once exhausted properly.
Still, power consumption is more than passive cooling towers or natural draft and values more to your work as a outcome.
They are specify further into 2 types that is:
In crossflow cooling tower water enters perpendicularly while air enters for the side walls of the tower horizontally and then rise upward from the center of the cooling tower. In crossflow cooling towers air enters at 90 degree to the direction of water.
Air is entered beneath the fills and moves upward opposite to the direction of the water flow. The air enters beneath the fill material and then rise upward through the fill material in counter flow cooling towers.
Some advantages you get with mechanical draft towers among others are:
- For the identical capability used, they are abundant smaller than the natural draft cooling towers.
- This can be thanks to the rise in cooling capability due to increase in volume of the air being forced out by fan.
- Capability management is feasible in mechanical draft cooling system. By dominant the speed of the fan, the degree of air are often controlled, that successively controls the capability.
- The natural draft cooling towers are often placed solely in open house. As they are doing not rely upon the part air, the mechanical cooling towers shall be placed even within the building.
Disadvantages of victimization mechanical draft cooling towers:
- Additional power is needed to run the system,
- Enhanced running price because of increase in maintenance of the fans, motors and its associated controls,
What are the major components of mechanical draft cooling tower that you should know?
Mechanical draft cooling tower consist of many components as such as:
Nozzles are devices that directs water into the fillers material of Tower. Uniform distribution of water at the highest of the filler is critical to induce correct wetting of the filler surface.
Nozzle may well be mounted or might need spherical or sq. patterns or can be a part of the rotating assembly
They disperse the water equally across the warmth money dealer. Nozzles are largely product of PVC, glass or ceramics. Some nozzles are warmth resistant.
Of course, the foremost obvious impact of a nozzle is thanks to its primary job of obtaining the recent water to the fill.
Ideally, the nozzles are settled and sized so they supply the same pattern of water over the fill with no gaps between their spray areas.
You’ve spent a “few dollars” to place fill into your cooling, thus currently you wish to create sure that you simply utilize it to its fullest extent by ensuring that it’s altogether wetted out and every one sections of fill receive a continuing quantity of water.
Gaps in spray coverage will result in air bypass as a result of dry fill offers lower resistance to flow, and air canperpetually take the trail of sweat. this can end in flow being purloined from wet fill sections wherever it’s required to cool down the recent water.
Benefits of nozzles:
- Equally distribution of water.
- Reliable than other distribution system
- Comfortable to install.
- Most efficient method
- Lower operational cost.
Types of Nozzles uses in Cooling:
- Flower shape nozzle (A)
- Drift nozzles (B)
- Counter flow cooling tower nozzles (C)
- Brass female cooling tower nozzle (D)
Drift separators or Eliminators
A drift agent is meant to capture massive water droplets caught within the air stream, and stop the droplets and mist from escaping the cooling. Over time, however, the drift agent will wear out and become brittle, or perhaps become clogged if no correct preventative maintenance set up is enforced.
In each cooling there’s some removal of water into surroundings as evaporation occurs. This loss is typically occurs in a type of pure water vapor, possessing no harm to the setting.
Water distribution system
Water distribution consist of nozzles, pipes, drains, valves etc. they control the flow of water in the system and responsible for proper distribution of the system.
Air intake louvers:
These are the extra components for the proper running of the tower these avoid the entering of sunlight, noise and other hazardous things to enter into the cooling tower
Packing of cooling tower
The packing of the cooling tower is most important part of the all. It should be able to withstand the load and other environmental effects.
- We have discussed working of cooling tower and mechanical draft cooling tower with its comparison to other towers with you.
- Then you got the idea of different parts of cooling tower, Different types of nozzles and their individual functions
- Mechanical draft is more efficient than natural draft however initial cost and operating budget are high but it deliver more better results