Johannesburg – Commercial agriculture stakeholders, including farmers, farm workers and trade unions, have until April next year to respond to Rural Development and Land Reform Minister Gugile Nkwinti’s policy proposals that could see farmers handing over 50% of their land to their workers.
According to the Sunday Times, Nkwinti said the land reform plan – which was published last week – was reflective of the ANC policy decision, through the Freedom Charter, to turn away from radical African nationalism and to embrace the concept that South Africa belongs to all who live in it – black and white – and that the land should be shared among those who work it.
AgriSA’s deputy president Theo de Jager however said that organised agriculture would reject Nkinti’s proposals. He said the move could also lead to massive job losses as farmers could let workers go in a bid to ensure few workers on the farms.
According to the report, government would pay for the 50% share but the money would not go to the farmer. Instead it would go into an investment fund that would be used for reinvestment in the farm and to pay those who want to opt out of the arrangement…
South Africa Today – South Africa News