Murder of 2 Mareetsane police officers, accused remanded in custody

South African Police Service

Murder of 2 Mareetsane police officers, accused remanded in custody
Murder of 2 Mareetsane police officers, accused remanded in custody

Benjamin Jacobs (42), Jeremiah Mongale (26), Rapulana Keikantse (25) and Matthews Modukanele (20) made a brief appearance before the Itsoseng Magistrate’s Court on Friday, 30 July 2021 for the alleged brutal murders of Constable Simon Ngakaemang Ntsekeletsa (50) and Sergeant Mojalefa Horatius Molete (42) who were stationed at Mareetsane police station.

The fifth accused, who is a juvenile, appeared separately in the Children’s court.

The five accused who are facing charges of murder, malicious damage to property and possession of a stolen firearm were arrested during the early hours of Wednesday, 28 July 2021, in Logageng village by a multidisciplinary team consisting of the Hawks’ Serious Organised Crime Investigation, Detective Service, Crime Intelligence, Tactical Response Team and members of the Local Criminal Records.

It is alleged that on 26 July 2021, around 21:00, the two police officers were on patrol duties with a state vehicle when they came across a vehicle loaded with suspected stolen goats. The members reported the incident to the commander and mentioned that they would be bringing the suspect’s vehicle to the police station soon. About an hour later, the police reported that they were not far from the police station. However, the police officers never arrived at the police station and they could not be reached on both their cellphones nor the police radio.

A manhunt for the police officers was immediately launched.

On 27 July 2021 the police were alerted by community members of blood stains on the road leading to the police station. When the scene was visited, a knife and a police badge belonging to one of the deceased was found and a second badge was found near Mareetsane road. Further investigations led the team to a burnt state vehicle wherein the bodies of the deceased police officers were discovered.

The team followed all leads and worked tirelessly until they traced and arrested the five suspects who were reportedly found in possession of a 9mm pistol which was taken from the slain police officers. A hammer, clothing with suspected blood stains and a vehicle have been seized for further investigation.

While condemning the acts of the perpetrators, the National Head of the Hawks Lieutenant General Godfrey Lebeya applauded the joint team for the swift arrest and recovery of the police firearm. Lieutenant General Lebeya further expressed deepest condolences to the families: “We certainly hope that the families of our fallen police officers would find comfort in the arrest of suspects and look forward to successful prosecution of these criminal acts”.

“An attack on the police is an attack on the State and this is why we will leave no stone unturned and will utilise all resources at our disposal to ensure those who commit such heinous acts against our officers in blue are found and face the full night of the law,” the Minister of Police reiterated.

All accused were remanded in custody and the matter was postponed to 05 August 2021 for formal bail application.

SAPS Newsroom

SOURCESouth African Police Service