Kidnapping and brutal murder of Miguel Louw (10) – Accused sentenced

South African Police Service

Kidnapping and brutal murder of Miguel Louw (10) – Accused sentenced
Kidnapping and brutal murder of Miguel Louw (10) - Accused sentenced

The KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi has commended detectives from the Provincial Organised Crime Unit for the sterling investigation that led to the killer being sentenced in court yesterday. Seasoned detectives attached to Provincial Organised Crime Unit worked diligently following the disappearance of the little boy who went to school on that fateful day and did not return home.

His disappearance touched the hearts of many in KwaZulu-Natal, who were concerned for his safety. On 17 July 2018, Miguel Louw (10) went missing after leaving his Primary School in Sydenham. A case of kidnapping was opened for investigation at Sydenham SAPS and the docket was transferred to the Provincial Organised Crime Unit for further investigation. Following his disappearance, police launched an extensive search for the missing child.

The investigating officer and other role players, who assisted in the search for the missing boy, conducted a thorough investigation. On 3 September 2018, the decomposed remains of a child were found in the bushes close to the accused’s residence on Longbury Drive in Phoenix.

A case of murder was registered at the Phoenix police station. An in-depth investigation was finalised and Mohammed Vahed Ebrahim (46) was finally arrested and tried in court.

During the course of the investigation, it was established that the accused stole the identity document of the deceased’s mother as well as Miguel’s birth certificate. It emerged that the documents were used to lure the child when he was kidnapped. An additional charge of theft was also added to the charge sheet. His bail application was denied in court and he was held behind bars throughout the trial. The matter was moved to the Durban High Court for trial in 2019.

On 7 December 2020, the Durban High Court found him guilty on charges of premeditated murder, kidnapping and theft.

He was sentenced to 25 years imprisonment for murder, eight years imprisonment for kidnapping and eighteen months imprisonment for theft. The sentences will run concurrently. We hope this sentence will give comfort to the family and everyone that demanded for justice to be served.

“We are glad that this heinous crime was solved and that the perpetrator will remain behind bars for a long time. We remain committed to bring justice to all victims of crime in this province,” said Lieutenant General Mkhwanazi.

SAPS Newsroom

SOURCESouth African Police Service