ER24 medic stabbed and assaulted in Pietermaritzburg

African News Agency (ANA)

ER24 medic stabbed and assaulted in Pietermaritzburg

An ER24 paramedic was stabbed and assaulted on Saturday evening when they stopped at an accident to help in Pietermaritzburg.

“Shortly after 6pm on Saturday evening, paramedics from ER24 came across a motor vehicle collision on Ohrtmann Road in Pietermaritzburg,” ER24 spokeswoman Chitra Bodasing-Harduth said on Sunday.

They were on their way to a nearby hospital to hand over patients on board the ambulance from a previous accident they attended. According to the paramedics, they pulled over to assess the incident and confirm if further resources were required on the scene, she said.

“Moments later four occupants from one of the vehicles involved in the collision verbally assaulted the paramedics. The situation later escalated and one of the occupants presented a knife and attacked one of the paramedics. He [the paramedic] sustained wounds to his face and hands before a member of the public stepped in and disarmed the knife wielding man.”

The paramedics called for police assistance and further ER24 resources shortly after the verbal assault began. When another ER24 emergency vehicle arrived on the scene, after the paramedic was stabbed, the suspect ran across the road and returned with a brick and attempted to further assault the ER24 crew on the scene. One of the paramedics managed to disarm the suspect.

Police arrived on the scene and the suspect apparently proceeded to verbally assault the police officers and attempted once again to assault the medical crew, she said.

It was understood that the suspect also assaulted the driver of the other vehicle involved in the collision. Four suspects were detained by the police on the scene and taken to Mountain Rise Police Station. A case of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm, common assault, reckless and negligent driving, malicious damage to property, and resisting arrest was opened. At this stage it was not clear if any other charges would be brought against the suspects, as police were still in the process of obtaining complete witness statements.

“The injured paramedic received several stitches to his face and hand at a nearby Mediclinic. He also sustained several bruises. He is currently doing well and will be supported by the company where needed. The patients that were originally being transported in the ambulance were later transported privately to a nearby hospital,” Bodasing-Harduth said.

South Africa Today – South Africa News

SOURCEAfrican News Agency (ANA)