Reports that Zuma’s blue light convey killed pedestrian untrue, says presidency

African News Agency (ANA)

Reports that Zuma’s blue light convey killed pedestrian untrue, says presidency

Reports that President Jacob Zuma’s “blue light” convoy was involved in a fatal car accident in Pretoria on Friday are untrue, the presidency said.

The presidency said in a statement on Sunday that Johannesburg mayor Herman Mashaba had tweeted, “I have just received the terrible news that President Zuma’s blue lights brigades killed a friend, Solly Moutlana, yesterday [Friday]”.

“It is unfortunate that Mr Mashaba, if the tweet is indeed by him, seeks to create an impression that a SAPS [SA Police Service] convoy transporting the president caused this painful loss of life which is totally untrue and misleading,” the presidency said.

Zuma was in East London on Friday to participate in the National Council of Province’s Taking Parliament to the People event, having travelled from Cape Town. From East London he flew to KwaZulu-Natal. He left Pretoria on Tuesday.

The presidency, on enquiry, had been informed that police were investigating a case involving a pedestrian knocked down by a car driven by a police officer in Pretoria. The pedestrian subsequently died. The SAPS would be better placed to provide clarity on the matter.

“The presidency extends heartfelt condolences to the family of the deceased on this tragic loss. The presidency remains ready to assist the mayor of Johannesburg in future with clarity on matters affecting the presidency to ensure the accuracy of information being disseminated,” it said.

South Africa Today – South Africa News

SOURCEAfrican News Agency (ANA)