More than 50 police officers have been killed countrywide this year, including two policemen who were gunned down in Dobsonville in Soweto on Wednesday.
Gauteng community safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane said on Wednesday 36 people had been arrested so far in connection with police killings in the province this year, and six suspects were killed in shoot-outs with police.
Below is a list of the pending cases in Gauteng:
1. Eight men appeared in court and two others were still at large in connection with the killing of a police officer on July 31. The eight men would be back in court on September 21.
2. Three men have appeared in court for the murder of Constable Frank Chauke on May 12 in his driveway in Soshanguve. The men were kept in custody prior to their bail application taking place.
3. Constable Sello Machete was murdered while sitting in his car in Temba, Hammanskraal on June 19. Three men have been arrested and one man was still being sought by police. Those in custody were waiting for their bail application.
4. Constable Frans Ledwaba was killed at Johannesburg Park Station while attending to a business robbery. Six men have been arrested for the crime. They are expected back in court on September 21.
5. One of the men involved in Ledwaba’s death has been linked to the murder of Constable Eric Buthelezi in Vosloorus. A further three people have been arrested in connection with Buthelezi’s murder. The three have appeared in court and now awaited their bail application.
6. Constable Ronald Baloyi was murdered in Atteridgeville on August 21. Two men have been arrested, while one suspect was still at large. The two appeared in court and their bail application was expected to take place on Thursday.
7. Three men have been arrested for the killing of Constable Albert Shirinda on June 22 in Florida while washing his car. They have appeared in court and are expected to make their next appearance on September 28.
8. Constable Mthokozisi Myeza and Constable Maishe Mafokane were killed on the N3 highway on March 29. Seven people have been arrested for the murder. Their trail was expected to begin on September 15.
9. One person has been arrested and another killed in a shoot-out with police in connection with the murder of Warrant Officer Moses Mosekwane in Hillbrow on August 23. The remaining man appeared in court and the case has been placed on the court roll pending legal aid. The legality of the man’s presence in South Africa also needed to be established.
10. Two officers were shot dead in Dobsonville, Soweto on Wednesday. No arrests have been made.
South Africa Today – South Africa News