A 2-year-old boy died in a fire after the family shack was gutted during the early hours of 30 April 2023, in Kingstown informal settlement in Despatch.
It is alleged that at about 00:15, the owner of the shack was woken by the smell of smoke and fire.
He ran out of the shack to get help and was assisted by the community members to save his family.
Seven people were assisted however when the shack was completely engulfed by the fire, they realised that one child was still not accounted for.
Little Adriaan Leeuskieter perished in the blaze.
It is suspected that a candle may have been the cause of the fire.
Police are investigating an inquest.