Axe murder of 3 at De Zalze Golf Estate, Stellenbosch

Axe murder of 3 at De Zalze Golf Estate, Stellenbosch
Image via Facebook - The Van Breda family - (from back left) Henri, Rudi, Martin, Marli (front left) and Teresa (front right)

No sign of a burglary could be found after three members of a prominent family in a prestigious golf estate outside Stellenbosch were hacked to death.

An Axe was presumably used in the attack.

Martin van Breda (55), a successful businessman, his wife, Teresa (54) and Rudi (22), the couple’s eldest son, were found dead in their De Zalze estate house on Tuesday January 27, 2015 at 07:00.

Their daughter, Marli (16) was in a critical but stable condition. She underwent surgery and is in intensive care at the Vergelegen Medi Clinic in Somerset West.

The couple’s youngest son, Henri (20), who also was in the house survived the brutal attack.

Lieutenant Colonel. Andre Traut police spokesperson said the motive for the murders was a mystery and no one has been arrested. “Several people are being questioned.”

Eben Potgieter chairman of De Zalze’s homeowners association said there was no violation of the estate’s security system.

He said the security guards were instructed on Tuesday morning to go to the estate’s security enclosure and look for signs of a break in.

They could not find anything.

“We have also reviewed the information on visits. There were no visits to this house yesterday (Monday) and during the course of the night.”

According to Potgieter this was the first incident of its kind at the estate.

He even received calls from concerned residents in London yesterday.

“It was a great shock and tragedy for the management of the estate. But more than anything the 16-year-old daughter is currently in our minds. ”

The beautiful two-storey house in which the Van Breda-family lives since mid-last year, was cordoned off all day yesterday by police, a forensic team and investigators who searched for clues.

South Africa Today – South Africa News