On the 3rd of December 2023 the Roxy Davis Foundation will celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Every year we celebrate in style – last year we were at the 2022 ISA World Para Surf Championships in California with 14 South African Para Surfers. This year we will be at Surfers Corner, Muizenberg making a record by completing the Wave Challenge inclusive of adaptive surfers and support teams.
The Wave Challenge Surf Therapy Fundraiser is the initiative behind this event. We are raising funds to cover the costs for 30 new surfers with disabilities to each receive 6 Surf Therapy sessions in 2024 .
Surfers may come from special needs facilities such as schools, rehabilitation centres or care facilities. Costs covered include disability friendly transport and guardians of children and vulnerable adults.
Entry into the Wave Challenge is in the form of a donation to support Surf Therapy in 2024 – Section 18A Certificates apply
- Corporate Teams enter by donating R10 000 which will provide 1 NEW surfer with 6 Surf Therapy sessions in 2024. To thank you for each new surfer you support, 6 of your team members are invited to volunteer on 3 December 2023 to experience the Surf Therapy programme and the positive change it has for people with disabilities with you.
- Adaptive surfers enter by donating R150 to surf on the day and join the Wave Challenge and the Bonus Wave Challenge.
- Surfers enter by donating R250 to surf on the day and join the Bonus Wave Challenge.
On the day volunteers will experience:
- a Blue Mind session promoting the positive impact that nature and the ocean has on your wellbeing
- a Safety Brief – protecting yourself and your surfer
- Surf Like me – surf like me a session where you can experience the challenge of surfing with adaptations as required by some of our surfers.
- Wave Challenge – meet your surfer, practice catching a few waves and then we all catch the same wave together
- Bonus Challenge – members of the public/surfers may join in and we all catch a wave together
- Team Photo / Group Photo
Every surfer needs a team, some 2-3 volunteers/coaches and others up to 8.
More info can be found here: https://roxydavisfoundation.org/wave-challenge-fundraiser/
Everyday people create extraordinary moments, this is your opportunity to experience Surf Therapy and make a positive impactful change.