With the recent COVID-19 pandemic, moving to a new home may seem to be impossible. From the observance of minimum safety standards to travel restrictions, stay-at-home orders, there are plenty of considerations to make from the get-go. Fortunately, executing a move amidst the pandemic can be possible provided you follow some safety protocols to reduce the spread of the virus.
Thus, if you’re planning a home relocation during the COVID-19 pandemic, below are the things you should do from start to finish:
1. Hire A Reliable Moving Company
Depending on where you’re located and where you’re going to move, there may be plenty of moving companies that can assist you with your move. With relocation professionals by your side, you’ll know what to do to ensure a safe and smooth transition despite the pandemic.
However, given the complications of moving during these tough times, you need to find a reliable moving company that implements a good COVID-19 policy. Thus, if you’re moving from NYC to LA or wherever you may be, you should check whether they have the following rules:
- Wearing of face masks and gloves for their employees
- Wearing of personal protective equipment
- Practicing social distance during the moving day
- Regularly sanitizing their movers’ hands
- Frequently sanitizing their trucks and moving equipment
As you can see, there are many things to ensure your safety when moving home during the pandemic. Because of this, you need to look for a moving company that’s capable of protecting you throughout the transition.
2. Request For A Virtual Home Survey
Since you can’t have close physical contact with anyone during the relocation, then, you need to ask for a virtual home survey instead of the in-person one. By doing this, you’ll not only keep yourself safe COVID-19 but you’ll also get hold of a moving estimate.
All you need to do is schedule the digital home survey with the movers, show every corner of your old home, and you’re good to go. The movers will, then, send you the estimate via email or any communication channels.
3. Make Use Of Moving Apps
To expedite the relocation process without interacting with other people or leaving your home, it can be an excellent idea to install some free moving apps. The following are the applications you can use for your move during the pandemic:
- Zillow – If you’re looking for a new home to move in, you can utilize this software to find the right one for you. This app provides you with plenty of home listings you can choose from without checking out homes physically.
- Move Advisor – It’s also best to use this organization app so you can keep track of all your relocation tasks. With all the travel restrictions in place, you may find it difficult to go outside and complete all your tasks. Thus, you should use this application to help you stay organized.
- Letgo – Instead of holding a garage sale in the neighborhood to dispose of all your unwanted stuff which can in turn can increase your risk of infection, you can use this selling platform to sell your stuff digitally. Once you post a photo of all your items along with their description and price, all you need to do is wait for a potential buyer to message you.
- Sortly – Moving during the pandemic means you should also keep yourself fit and healthy. You can do this if you streamline the packing process through the use of this application. With this software in place, you can categorize your items per box and generate labels accordingly, thereby minimizing your potential health risks.
4. Pack Your Stuff Ahead Of Time
Generally, coronavirus can contaminate all types of surfaces and can last on them for a long time. Hence, if you want to keep yourself safe from the risk of infection, you should pack your belongings at least 24 hours before the best long distance movers you hire will arrive at your home.
By boxing up all your possessions ahead of time, you’ll be able to sanitize your boxes and make sure they’re not contaminated once the moving crew appears the next day. Also, when you pack all your stuff at an earlier time, you can leave the boxes at a designated area on the moving day without physically talking to any of the movers.
5. Prepare For The Moving Day
To have a safe and successful move during the pandemic, you should get ready for the relocation day by doing the following:
Wear a face mask and a pair of gloves if necessary
Sanitize your hands from time to time
Avoid touching surfaces that may be contaminated
Keep a safe distance away from other people
Indeed, moving in the middle of COVID-19 pandemic can be very challenging, especially if you need to follow the safety protocols to keep yourself protected. However, this transition doesn’t need to be complicated if you follow the tips mentioned above. That way, you can ensure a safe and smooth moving process during these unfortunate times.