All that garage doors have to do as long as they exist is to move up and down. A simple life it is. But it comes a time when they fail to work as per expectations. Even the most reliable garage doors desert the routine hence they require a simple fix or major repairs.
Simple maintenance and easy fixes.
You can keep your garage door working indefinitely only if you can have a maintenance routine. Here are some tips which might even correct problems that have just started to arise.
- Inspect the garage door rollers and tracks. If it’s been a while since you cleaned and lubricated the rollers thoroughly, now it’s the time. The rollers have bearings and you should replace any bearing that seems to be malfunctioning.
- Test the balance of the garage door. A fully functional garage door just needs a little effort to open and close. In case the bearings have worn out, this is no longer the case and it will need much more energy thus overworking the motor. Unfortunately, replacing the spring needs a professional since it is a bit complex.
- Tighten the hardware. The fact that the tracks guiding the rollers are fabricated in sections and mounted to the garage with the use of brackets, you need to ensure that the sections are correctly secured and the bolts and screws clumping the brackets are adequately tight.
- Try out the auto-reverse feature on the garage door opener. Openers are designed in such a way that they can auto-reverse when they bump into an obstacle as it closes. When this fails. It is a big risk that you are taking since the door is pretty heavy.
- Inspect the cable and pulleys. Cables and pulley wear out over time and you need some professionalism to have them replaced.
Well, if none of these solutions can’t fix your issue just contact a good garage door repair technician.
Let’s look at other common garage door issues you can fix on your own.
- Frozen garage doors
When it’s winter, it is when you need your garage door to be sharp and on point. Unfortunately, it is exactly the spell when cold and moisture makes this hectic. The garage door will occasionally freeze to the floor of the garage and sometimes the bond can be broken just by hitting the opener button.
If the door fails to open once you hit the button, don’t bother banging the button repeatedly since it is most likely going to cause more problems with the opening mechanism.
Alternatively, try other methods that might break the bond. For instance, you can use a hair dryer or a heat gun to melt the ice. De-icing products would also work. You can also use a spade or similar equipment to chip out the ice but make sure you don’t damage the door.
Once the door is open, clean any water or ice to avoid future freezing.
- Broken glass
In most yards, you will find people having their play activities and it’s no surprise that you will have the window panes get hit from time to time. No matter the cause, it should be replaced as soon as possible since a broken glass is a safety issue, and a pathway to any insect or bird to get shelter in your garage. The good news is that replacing the broken glass of your garage door has the same formalities as replacing the house window.
- Noisy garage door
The irritation caused by a noisy garage door is generally unacceptable. But, with a maintenance routine, it’s problem solved. If you have done all the maintenance tips described above and the problem isn’t solved, it is possible that the hinges need a replacement. Also, the rollers can wear out and become noisy.
- Security issues.
The garage that you perceive to be just a storage unit probably houses really expensive pieces of equipment, household items and not to mention your vehicle. This should be a banner to indicate how much you need to ensure that intruders can’t just access it. The level of security can be improved by installing modern door openers that feature quite hard to crack opening means.
- Malfunctioning garage door opener.
For most of us, we use the garage door day in day out and when it decides to malfunction, it can have you stuck on the outside during the harsh weather. Repairing this might seem complicated but there are a few steps that you can take to diagnose and then repair this garage door opener problem.
On the other hand, if you find it all hectic to have things done by yourself, you can contact Ben Garage and repair services, to have the job done.