hansgrohe’s range of products is designed with water-saving in mind, and in celebration of World Water Day yesterday, hansgrohe takes a look at some of the reasons our most precious natural resource needs to be protected, and some of the measures that can be taken to ensure our water supply flows freely for generations to come.
Curbing the crisis
For many years, drought has been a major issue in the Northern and Eastern Cape provinces, and in other parts of the country – like Gauteng – heatwaves and late rains frequently threaten water supplies. So, what can be done? We may not be able to control the weather. But we can control ourselves and the amount of water we consume every day.
It all starts with a bit of awareness. There are so many ways to save water and it’s not as difficult or inconvenient as some might think.
How YOU can help save water at home
- Start by showering instead of taking baths and limit your shower time to five minutes or less. Turn the shower on, wet yourself, turn it off. Soap yourself, rinse, and you’re done.
- If you would rather bath, though, leave the water in the tub when you get out and use it (with a bucket) to flush toilets.
- You can even use a bucket in the shower to collect water for the same purpose.
- Fit water saving shower heads like the hansgrohe EcoSmart.
- For many, it’s a habit to leave the tap running when brushing teeth or shaving. Turning the tap off while you do it can go a long way in saving water every day.
- Rather than wash dishes or clothes as you use them, let them stack up and only do full loads.
- Put a brick or bottle in the cistern of the toilet. This allows the cistern to fill up with less water.
- Wash your fruit and vegetables in a pot of water. This water can then be used to water your plants.
- Reuse your cooking water. How many times a week do you steam or boil vegetables? Often that leftover water ends up down the drain. Next time save the water and use it to start vegetable stock for a soup.
Water saving technology
Installing new fittings in your bathroom not only saves water. It saves on energy and costs, too. hansgrohe showers and taps with EcoSmart technology consume up to 60% less water than conventional products, and lower hot water consumption reduces energy usage and costs. In the bigger picture, that also means less carbon dioxide emissions. So, EcoSmart is good for both the environment and your wallet.
Every hansgrohe basin mixer is EcoSmart and even a selection of the bigger, more luxurious showers is available with EcoSmart technology. Thanks to EcoSmart, water consumption on all hansgrohe basin taps is reduced to around five litres per minute. This is achieved by adding extra air flow and a water flow limiter. The air flow ensures that, even though water usage is limited, there is no compromise on sensation or comfort. You still get a consistent flow of water every time.
Selected hansgrohe Croma Overhead Showers consume just nine litres of water per minute. But the air flow still allows you to experience the same powerful jet of water or the gentle, enriched rainfall of hansgrohe’s RainAir technology, for a more relaxing water experience.
This World Water Day, hansgrohe hopes to cultivate better awareness about the importance of protecting the most precious natural resource on Earth. It all begins with normal everyday interactions with water – how we choose to use it and respect it. If we start now, it will flow freely for years to come. Every drop counts. Happy World Water Day!
hansgrohe. Meet the beauty of water.
hansgrohe stands for innovative solutions for kitchens and bathrooms that combine intelligent functionality, outstanding design, and enduring quality. Based in Germany’s Black Forest region, the internationally active Hansgrohe Group sells premium products for showers, shower systems, bathroom and kitchen taps, and kitchen sinks under the hansgrohe brand.
hansgrohe stands for great moments with water since 1901. With its many award-winning products, this traditional brand shapes the flow of water in the kitchen and the bathroom. Because this is where people spend the time they treasure most and experience precious moments in the interaction with water.
hansgrohe stands for Smart Living applications that enrich people’s everyday lives and offer them more functionality and safety in their homes.
hansgrohe. Meet the beauty of water.
Find out more about the hansgrohe brand at: