If you’ve decided to turn over a new leaf this year, make sure it’s a Tetley Green tea leaf! Green tea has been enjoyed for centuries and offers a variety of intrinsic health benefits, making it the perfect addition to a healthy lifestyle.
“Getting healthy is at the top of most peoples’ New Year’s resolutions, but we often set ourselves goals that are unrealistic and that set us up for failure,” explained Candice Sessions, Tetley Marketing Manager. “The best way to get into a healthy routine is to make small, purposeful changes that are sustainable. One of the simplest and most effective ways to get healthier is to include Tetley Green tea into your daily diet. It’s the perfect hydrating antioxidant boost, and can be used for iced teas and smoothies too. We’ve also shared some of our favourite healthy Green tea recipes to help everyone start 2022 on the right foot!”
7 health benefits of Tetley Green tea
1. Green tea has nutritional benefits
There are a number of beneficial nutrients found within green tea including amino acids, fluoride and catechins which are important for a healthy body and mind.
2. Green tea may decrease inflammation
According to a review in the 2011 Arthritis Research & Therapy, green tea has an anti-inflammatory benefit for osteoarthritis. Another study published in The Journal of Nutrition indicates green tea extract may be helpful in treating rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Green tea could lower blood sugar levels
People with type 2 diabetes have insulin resistance whereby cells cannot effectively absorb glucose. A study published in the Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences in 2014 shows green tea may help reduce insulin resistance.
4. Green tea may improve mental alertness
Green tea has a low content of caffeine but this is sufficient to cause mental alertness without resulting in excess anxiety and jitters.
5. Green tea could protect the heart
According to America’s National Centre for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), green tea has cholesterol and blood pressure-lowering properties which can lead to better heart health.
6. Green tea may reduce anxiety
A 2017 Phytomedicine review indicated that caffeine and the amino acid L-theanine, found in green tea, work together to lower anxiety and influence memory and attention.
7. Green tea forms part of a healthy weight loss diet
Although green tea alone will not necessarily result in weight loss, the caffeine in green tea may suppress the appetite and speed up the calorie-burning process. Adding green tea to a healthy diet and exercise regime is a good idea.
Healthy Tetley Green Tea recipes to try in 2022
𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒉𝒚 𝑺𝒏𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝑩𝒂𝒓𝒔
1 cup almonds
1 cup cashews
½ cup hazelnuts
½ cup mixed seeds
1 cup rolled oats
½ cup dried cranberries
Chia seeds and more cranberries for garnish
½ cup honey
⅓ cup maple syrup
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp Tetley Lemon Green tea (2 tea bags steeped with 1 tbsp boiling water)
Pinch of salt
· Prepare a rectangular, heat-proof tray by lining it with parchment paper. You may grease it with coconut oil. Keep another big piece of parchment paper ready – this will be used to lay over the mixture and press down to even out the snack bars.
· Dry roast the nuts, oats and the seed mix separately. Then place them to cool in a big, heat-proof bowl. Add dry cranberries and mix to distribute them evenly. Set aside while you prepare the liquid mixture.
· In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, combine the honey, maple syrup, Tetley Lemon Green tea (steep the tea, strain it pressing on the tea bags to get all the flavour, then use the strained 1 tbsp tea extract) and salt. Bring to a boil. Continue boiling until the syrup reaches 126°C (hard ball stage) on a candy thermometer.
· Carefully remove the hot maple syrup mixture from heat and pour it straight over the prepared oats and nuts mixture. Working quickly, mix everything together and coat evenly. Transfer the mixture in to the prepared tray and even it out. Place another piece of parchment paper over it and use a flat-bottomed glass or bowl to press down and even out the snack bars.
· Let it set overnight or at least 4 to 5 hours. Remove from the tray over a chopping board and carefully slice them into desired sizes. Press down firmly to get neat cuts.
· Store these wrapped individually in parchment paper at room temperature.
𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒉𝒚 𝑮𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝑺𝒎𝒐𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒆
½ cup Tetley Pure Green tea (freeze in to ice cube moulds)
½ cup Tetley Mint Green tea chilled (no need to add sweeteners)
1 whole, fresh pineapple cut into cubes
Juice from half a lemon
Pinch of salt
1 green apple cored and chopped into cubes
2 handfuls of baby spinach
· Prepare the Tetley Pure Green tea and Mint Green tea by steeping 2 tea bags in hot water. Let it cool then chill the Tetley Mint Green tea in the fridge and freeze the Tetley Green tea into ice cubes. In a blender jug, add all the ingredients and blend.
· Serve chilled as is or you may strain it if you wish. Add more water or sweeteners if you prefer.
𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒕𝒉𝒚 𝑨𝒍𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑶𝒂𝒕 𝑴𝒖𝒇𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒔
2 large, free-range eggs
¾ cup coconut palm sugar
½ cup Greek yoghurt
¼ cup coconut milk (infused with Tetley Apple Green tea)
⅓ cup coconut oil
1½ cups almond flour
½ cup oats flour
Pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp lemon zest
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
¾ cup berries of choice (raspberries/blueberries)
· Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C.
· In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and coconut palm sugar using an electric beater on high speed for 5 minutes until it’s light and fluffy.
· Heat the coconut milk with 2 Tetley Apple Green tea bags on stove top until it’s hot but not boiling. Let it steep until it cools to room temperature. Thereafter strain the Tetley Apple Green tea-infused coconut milk using a tea strainer into the egg mixture, pressing down on the tea bags.
· Add in the Greek yoghurt along with the coconut oil and pinch of salt. Mix until combined.
· In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, oats flour and the baking powder until nicely incorporated.
· Gradually fold the flour mixture in to the egg mixture in 3 batches. Add the lemon juice and zest as well and berries of choice, folding gently until well incorporated. Do not overmix or the muffins will end up dense.
· Divide the batter equally between the cupcake liners using a trigger release ice cream scoop (this is the easiest way to get equal portions). You may top the muffins with slivered almonds.
· Bake at 180°C for 15 to 20 minutes until golden or until a toothpick comes out clean.
· Let them cool to room temperature on a wired rack before serving.
Note: All recipe & picture credits: @ataleofsauceandspice
Health benefits source: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-green-tea.
To find out more about Tetley Green tea and access more healthy recipes, visit www.joekels.co.za and follow @TetleyTeaSA on Facebook and Instagram.