In todays video by GARDEN TIPS, we will discuss the Top 10 uses of Baking soda in garden and at the end of this video, a very interesting Baking Soda Garden Hack with baking soda and vinegar in garden soil ph testing.
Baking Soda is 100 percent sodium bicarbonate used mainly for cooking purpose. Today I am gonna list out the top 10 benefits of baking soda on plants and baking soda in garden soil. It is 100 % biodegradable, non-toxic, inexpensive organic solution in gardening.
1. As a Pesticide and Fungicide:
You can make a very effective organic pesticide spray with baking soda to kill harmful pests and insects in garden like the Powdery Mildew, Aphids, Spider mites, Slugs and Snails and also fungus attacks.
The Formula to make a spray is: 1 litre of water + 1 tsp baking soda + 1 tsp vegetable oil or olive oil + 1 tsp of liquid soap or detergent. Mix well to make spray and apply on plants weekly once. For slugs and snail – directly sprinkle on them.
2. Killing Cabbage Worms:
Mix 50% baking soda + 50 % flour like wheat flour and sprinkle on the cabbage or broccoli leaves. The worms munch on this and die within 1 or 2 days.
3. Cleaning Plant Foliage:
To remove dust and dirt which encourages better photosynthesis and better health of your plants. Use half a teaspoon of baking soda in 1 liter of water and use a soft cloth to mop the leaves.
4. Clean Garden Tools, Pots and Garden Furniture:
Use 1 – 2 teaspoons baking soda + 1- 2 teaspoons of liquid soap in 1 liter of water for cleaning.
5. Foul smells from compost pile:
Sprinkle baking soda on your compost pile to drive away the foul smell.
6. Encourage flower blooming:
To encourage flower blooming, spray a solution of 1 tsp baking soda in 1 liter of water.
7. Sweeter Tomatoes:
You can get Sweeter Tomatoes if you sprinkle the powder around the tomato plants.
8. Weed Killer:
Sprinkle it on the tufts of weeds. It will burn the foliage and weeds will fade and disappear in a few days.
9. To Keep Cut Flowers Fresh:
Just add 1 teaspoon of baking soda into the vase water.
10. BAKING SODA HACK To Test the Soil PH without any Gadget:
You need baking soda and Vinegar (that is acetic acid) to perform this pH test on your garden soil.
- So when you Pour the vinegar into one of the soil samples and If the soil begins to bubble, it is alkaline, meaning the pH level is above 7.
- If there is no reaction, take your other sample and pour in half cup water and then the baking soda. If the soil bubbles, it means the pH level is below 7, and it is acidic soil. There is also a soil ph testing meter available online.
bakingsoda, sodiumbicarbonate, vinegar, hacks,
So there we have it folks, those were the 10 benefits of baking soda in gardening. If you like the video, please hit a thumbs up and also please comment on the video and share your thoughts and ideas.
SUBSCRIBE TO the GARDEN TIPS Channel
CLICK NOTIFICATION BELL TO “ON” TO RECEIVE UPDATES!