The summer holiday is finally here, and we all want to soak in that sense of abundance that comes with beautiful, long, hot days and plenty of opportunities to come together with our loved ones and friends. Many South Africans have been on a tighter budget all year long, and there’s a longing to have a bit of a spoil. Typically, the end of year is filled with braais, parties and picnics, as well as feasting over the festive celebration days. It’s a time when we like to splurge on the foodie luxuries so that we’re always bringing something wonderful and memorable to the table.
However, not every hero ingredient on the menu needs to blow the food budget. We’re lucky that this holiday time coincides with stone fruit season. While the looks, flavours and sheer juiciness of peaches, plums and nectarines are so decadent and luxurious, they are amazingly affordable because they are home-grown and in season. There are no limits to the ways to enjoy them. They are perfect as refreshing, nutrient-rich whole-fruits while you’re on the beach, on a cycle or lounging on a picnic blanket in the park. But there are also so many other ways to enjoy peaches, plums and nectarines in a wide variety of your holiday dishes from crisp salads and tangy sauces to succulent roasts and indulgent desserts.
For the summer of 2023, Juicy Delicious has brought chefs, Caro Gardner and Mokgadi Itsweng together to create a collection of five stone-fruit inspired dishes that will elevate your holiday and festive feasts:
- If you want a complete showstopper, Caro Gardner’s Pull-apart Cheesy Stone Fruit and Charcuterie Bread is an irresistible combination of yeasty, freshly baked bread infused with the tartness and sweetness of peaches, nectarines and plums which are paired brilliantly with the richness of melted mozzarella and camembert cheeses and topped with Parma Ham.
- Caro’s recipe for Spiced Roast Chicken with Roast Peaches and Yoghurt Dressing will give you a unique, mouth-watering take on the Sunday or Christmas Day roast by blending the warmth of spices, the juiciness of peaches and the crispness of fennel with a moreish, nutty and herby dressing.
- Whole Smoked Cauliflower Roast with Plum Sauce by Mokgadi Itsweng takes a veggie side dish to a whole new level and will delight those looking to make plant-based dishes stand out. The smokiness of the cauliflower complements the rich, spicy and tart notes of the plum sauce, creating a dish that’s as impressive as it is delicious.
- Mokgadi’s unusual Pickled Plum and Zucchini Carpaccio is a taste sensation that makes use of both fresh and skilfully pickled plums. This is a refreshing and visually stunning dish that is served with a light sunflower seed and herb dressing.
- No festive meal is complete without a decadent dessert and, Caro Gardner’s Festive Peach, Plum and White Chocolate Trifle is a symphony of sweetness and textures, featuring layers of sponge cake, freshly poached peaches and a luscious white chocolate ganache, with a topping of whipped cream and fresh peaches and plums. It’s a gorgeous, sweet finale that is sure to leave a lasting impression.
For more inspiration and recipes, follow @juicydelicioussa on Instagram or visit www.juicydelicious.co.za