FREEZER-FRIENDLY SANDWICHES: BACK-TO-SCHOOL LUNCHES MADE EASY
Back to school preparations are well under way in households across the country. Stationery is being purchased, books are being covered, uniforms are getting washed and belongings are being labelled. School lunches however are seldom included in back-to-school planning… until now!
According to Bianca Tromp, a FUTURELIFE® dietician, you can start 2021 smart by getting a head start on school lunches. How? By making and freezing your sandwiches before school even begins! “Sandwiches are a staple in the school lunchbox mostly because of their versatility and convenience. Freezing sandwiches, however, offers several additional benefits including saving time and money. In addition, if special attention is paid to the ingredients they can be super healthy too!” she says.
Bianca adds that sandwiches freeze surprisingly well provided you steer clear of tomato, boiled egg, fresh vegetables and most salad ingredients (like lettuce, cucumber, onion). “Ingredients like cheese, nut butters, cold meats and jams work best when making sandwiches that are going to live in the freezer!”
To get the best results, Bianca offers the following additional tips:
- Use fresh bread
- Ensure that you store the sandwich in an air-tight container or in zip-lock bags (remove as much air as possible) to keep it from drawing moisture from the freezer
- Place the sandwiches on a flat surface in the freezer
- Remove and thaw the morning before school
- Remember to write what is in the sandwich on the bag/container
- If you would like fresh elements on your sandwich like tomato or lettuce, add these the morning before putting the sandwich in the lunchbox.
She also offers 5 easy-to-make, healthy sandwich recipes to help parents and their children start 2021 smart:
Serves: 1 person for 5 days
These ingredients make 5 different sandwiches that can be frozen and removed from the freezer the morning before school. By break time your child will have a delicious fresh thawed sandwich. You can make more if you want them to last for 2 weeks.
- 10 slices FUTURELIFE® High Protein Brown bread (your favourite variant)
- Savoury spread like Marmite or Bovril
- Margarine (not melted!)
- 4 slices low fat, white cheese
- Unsalted, unsweetened peanut butter
- Leftover chicken shredded
- Leftover cooked minced meat
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
1. SAVOURY SPREAD AND CHEESE SANDWICH
Take 2 slices of FUTURELIFE® High Protein Brown bread, spread the one side with your favourite savoury spread and the other slice with margarine. Place the 2 slices of cheese on the buttered side. Close the sandwich, cut it in half and you are done. Serve with yoghurt and a fruit.
2. EGG AND CHICKEN SANDWICH
Break 1 large egg in a cup with 1 tablespoon milk. Wisk until combined. Pour the egg mixture into a hot pan as if you will be making an omelette/pancake. Flip when golden on the one side. Cook for 1 minute on the other side. Place on a chopping board and cut a square the size of a slice of bread. Spread margarine on both slices of bread. Place the egg square and shredded leftover chicken in between the slices of bread. Close the sandwich, cut it in half and you are done. Serve with a fruit.
3. PEANUT BUTTER SANDWICH
This one is quick and easy. Spread the peanut butter on one of the slices of bread. Close the sandwich, cut it in half and you are done. Serve with fresh fruit and a FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Bar.
4. MINCED MEAT AND CHEESE SANDWICH
Spread margarine on both slices of bread and spread. Place the minced meat on the one slice of toast and top with a slice of white cheese. Close the sandwich, cut it in half and you are done. Serve with cut up tomato and cucumber.
5. FRENCH TOAST SANDWICH
Mix 1 large egg with 2 tablespoons of milk in a shallow bowl. Place the 1 slice of bread into the mixture to absorb some of the egg mixture. Flip it to soak the other side. Repeat with the other slice of bread. Heat a non-stick pan for frying the French toast. Pan-fry for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. This can work as an even higher protein base for any of the above-mentioned fillings or just fill the sandwich with a slice of cheese and freeze. Serve with a banana and a FUTURELIFE® HIGH PROTEIN Bar.
Bianca concludes that you can start the year even smarter with FUTURELIFE® and Pick ‘n Pay Smart Shopper! Stand a chance to win a years’ worth of school fees in 2021 by entering the FUTURELIFE® Start Smart Campaign in partnership with Pick ‘n Pay Smart Shopper!
How Start Smart works:
- Buy any 2 FUTURELIFE® breads and/or FUTURELIFE® bars at any Pick ‘n Pay across South Africa between 16 November 2020 – 10 January 2021 and swipe your Smart Shopper card.
- You will then automatically be entered into a draw to stand a chance to win school fees for your child in 2021.
- Winner will be drawn within four weeks of the competition closure date and will be contacted directly.
For the full list of participating products and for more information, go to: https://futurelife.co.za/back-to-school/