Start Father’s Day off one a sweet note by preparing a tasty breakfast treat that he’ll love! Having a dessert breakfast is not something that should be frowned upon but rather embraced especially for special occasions such as this one.
Royal Palm Hotel, Umhlanga’s Head Chef Qhawe Tshabalala suggests a sweet as well as a savory recipe you can prepare for your mom. “Dad’s deserve to enjoy the best things in life for all the sweet love they give” Qhawe says. “Since the Nation is in lockdown, you won’t be able to take her out to restaurants so why not bring the restaurant to him?” he added.
Carrot Cake Oatmeal Anyone?
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded (about ¼ cup, packed)
- 1 cup (235 ml) hot water
- ⅓ cup (30 g) quick-cooking oats (see note below)
- 1 tablespoon raisins (I used golden raisins, but any kind is fine)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened, desiccated coconut (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup (more or less to taste; see vegan note below)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream or coconut milk (see vegan note below)
- Add the carrot and water to a small saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, then boil 3 minutes (uncovered), stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the oats, raisins, coconut, 1 tablespoon walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and sea salt. Cook until the oats absorb the liquid, about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and stir in the honey and vanilla.
- Transfer to an individual-sized serving bowl, and top with the heavy cream and the remaining 1 tablespoon walnuts.
Quick-Cooking Oats: These are old-fashioned rolled oats that have been chopped a little bit finer. If you only have old-fashioned rolled oats on hand and you want to make this recipe, you can do one of two things: 1) pulse old-fashioned rolled oats a couple times in a food processor until they look like quick-cooking oats; or 2) use old-fashioned rolled oats and increase both the cooking time and water amount as needed.
To Make This Recipe Vegan: Use maple syrup instead of honey and coconut milk instead of heavy cream.
Gluten-Free: Remember, if keeping this dish gluten-free is a concern, be sure to buy oats that are certified gluten-free!
If you know your Dad prefers the traditional savory breakfast meal, he’s bound to love this recipe!
GREEN CHILLI, BACON AND CHEESE EGG BAKE
- Two green chilies, dried
- 30 grams grated sharp cheddar cheese – 1 cup
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chilies’ and cheese. Gently spread that into the prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour and salt. Pour over the chilies’ and cheese. Sprinkle the bacon on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until bubbling and the eggs are cooked through. Tests with a toothpick to come out clean.
- Try using a combination of cheddar and mozzarella.
- If you’d like, you can cut the recipe in half and use an 8X8 dish, as pictured.