The triskelion, also known as the triskele, is essentially a spiral motif that has three symmetrical swirls that emerge from a single point. It is often seen in many different cultures in Europe and Asia, but it is said to have originated by Irish and Celtic art and design. It is a Greek word, which literally translates to three leg. There have been many modern adaptations of the word, one of them is the Sicilian flag which shows three human legs around the head of Gorgon. But what does this symbol exactly signify?
- The number 3 is very evident in the triskelion, and this number also holds a special place amongst people who resonate with a Higher Power. The number is recurrent in a lot of religions and cultures, as well as myths and stories from around the world.
- The three branches of the triskelion are seen as three major spirals that emerge from a shared point of origin.
- Different religions and different cultures have their own interpretations of the triskelion. In Christianity, it is viewed as the Holy Trinity i.e. the father, the son and the Holy spirit. In Hinduism, they view the triskelion as the three characteristics of God, which are the creator, the preserver and the destroyer.
- More modern interpretations of the triskelion are linked to the concepts of mind, body and spirit, as well as the dimensions of time which are past, present and future.
- It is quite unique and extraordinary, how everyone has their own versions of looking at the triskelion, which just goes to show how unique and special this symbol exactly is.
- There is a plethora of adaptations of the triskelion as well. We mentioned the Sicilian flag, but apart from that the symbol is quite visible in Spanish and Portuguese cultures. They have fashioned it into three crescents that emerge from a centre. In Europe, you will see this symbol a lot in some churches, especially those that were established around the medieval times.
- If you have begun to see the triskelion symbol a lot in your life, you can consider yourself very lucky. It signifies the fact that you are on a search for a deeper meaning in life, and you are soon to find out what you have been looking for.
- People can also view it as having active and passive elements to it. The active elements could be the actions that you invest in any kind of situation, and the passive elements are things that you expect from the universe afterwards.
- It is a very deep and profound concept, that promises a lot of hope and optimism in people’s lives. It gives people the strength to be strong and trust that they will get what they want. This could be answers, or results to whatever they have been actively seeking. All these ideas are what the make the symbol itself special.