Worcester-born singer-songwriter Selby Williams sees his dream come to fruition with the drop of his debut single, Hier is Ek, on all streaming platforms.
“I am currently producing my first EP and reflecting on the little boy in Avian Park who had a joy and a dream and had no idea how it would play out. I am so grateful for the process and for the people who’ve believed in me and have invested their gifts, time and wisdom into me. I am so excited for the journey ahead,” said the soulful crooner.
Growing up with a love of music which saw Williams, 29, singing along to the radio with his grandmother from a young age. This helped shape him into the engaging performer he is today with a wide interest in musical genres.
Born and raised in Worcester, Avian Park which is known as one of the most dangerous communities in the Western Cape, Williams says many kids either get involved with gangs or give up on their dreams of success, but he always believed there was more to his life than just his small community.
He entered the ATKV-Crescendo’s Music Writing Program and believes the experience solidified his belief that his passion was music.
“I had to start writing my own music which to my surprise, I think the ability was within me already and just needed to be unlocked. Through ATKV-Crescendo I recorded my very first single which was a great deal for me and this made me look at myself differently.
“I hope my music will inspire and bring change in people’s lives and leave them impacted and changed for good,” he said.
Despite his powerful stage presence, Williams was very shy during his high school years.
“As you know there is so much pressure in school with peers and belonging, etc but despite that, my love for music stood tall. I then began to enter different singing competitions and had some good wins here and there, but just never thought of myself as a singer-songwriter, then I was just a cover artist as I had this dream to be the next John Legend of who I’m a very big fan of by the way.
“ATKV –Crescendo has seen and affirmed not just my potential but the current state of my gift of singing. It has also opened my eyes to the true value of my artistry and taught me not to water it down or discredit it but to stay learning and exploring. It has given me a platform to challenge my gift and meet new people who are passionate about the same. It has lit a fire in my heart to steward my artistry in a way that is true to who I am and my story and for that I am truly grateful and forever changed,” he added.
“Hier is Ek, which drops today is an anthem to me for this season having come through many hardships and these are the things that shame you in character but as we know true, beautiful diamonds are made under a lot of pressure,” he said
To listen to his single, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKjNyMvxDck
Check out the Hier Is Ek music video, via Youtube, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfd2musR-xM
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES:
Selby Williams Biography:
· Selby Warren Keith Williams was born and raised in Worcester, Avian Park, known as one of the most dangerous communities in the Western Cape.
· He is part of a family of 6 and the second oldest of 4 kids. His love of music started when singing along to the radio with his grandmother.
· A shy teenager, he found confidence in music. Williams entered different singing competitions and despite having quite a few wins under his belt, he says he never thought of himself as a singer-songwriter.
· After high school, he joined a community organization performing, this allowed him to travel overseas, perform on prestigious stages and share his story through the arts.
· He entered ATKV-Crescendo’s Mentor Programme talent search after which he recorded his very first single song, Verewig en Nou.
· He is currently producing his first EP and reflecting on; “the little boy in Avian Park who had a joy and a dream and had no idea how it would play out.”