Seasoned singer and songwriter, Thapelo Lekoane, has released her debut album titled, Tapestry.
This album is sonically an organic work of musical expression with the tasteful use of live instruments in songs that were beautifully and carefully arranged. Lyrically it explores the themes of purpose, faith, love, hope, heritage and relationships.
“I have always believed my style to be folk-soul. This album is a combination of folk, soul and jazz,” says Thapelo Lekoane. “My prayer and desire were to produce a body of work that would speak LIFE to generations to come.”
Tapestry includes songs such as Human and Heritage. According to Lekoane, the song Human is about taking a moment to pause and recognise that no one is perfect. “We will experience disappointments along life’s journey, even with the people we hold in high regard, and that means we need to reflect, introspect, forgive those we need to, grant each other the grace and time to grow and be better because we need each other.”
“This is what makes each one of us a unique and colourful Tapestry. At the end of the day, we’re all a ‘work in progress’ that still needs love and acceptance,” says Lekoane.
On this album, some of the artists that Lekoane worked with include legendary poet, Lebo Mashile and one of South Africa’s best jazz artists, The SN Project. Other accomplished musicians that worked on the album include album producer and co-writer Llewellyn George, album string arranger David Cousins, Benjamin Jephta, Leagan ‘Starchild’, Carlo Jooste, Thando ‘Magickeys’ Mathebula, Nathan Smith, Raymond Green, Evert van Niekerk, Susan Mouton, Lizelle Le Roux and Violeta Miljkovic.
Born and bred in Alexandra Township, as a teenager Lekoane was always eager to participate in musical activities and most of them happened to be at church where she honed her talents. Lekoane has a Bachelor of Music (Honors) degree in vocal performance from Wits University. In addition, Lekoane had a memorable journey as a finalist on the first season of The Voice South Africa.
“My hope is that this musical offering will give people countless moments in this life where they recognize that they occupy God’s thoughts, they are loved, and that they are not alone,” says Lekoane.
The album Tapestry is available on all digital music platforms.
Follow Thapelo Lekoane on social media:
INSTAGRAM: @Thapelo_Lekoane | TWITTER: @Thapelo_Lekoane
FACEBOOK: @ThapeloLekoaneMusic SOUNDCLOUD: Thapelo Lekoane Music
YOUTUBE: Thapelo Lekoane
THAPELO LEKOANE BIOGRAPHY
- Emerging from Alexandra township, Thapelo Lekoane is a seasoned singer/songwriter who realised her passion for music at the young age of eight. Since starting out in her church choir, Thapelo has forged her musical journey, featuring on many stages, the Standard Bank Joy of Jazz being one of them.
- She acquired her Bachelor of Music Honours degree in vocal performance at Wits University (2012). Thereafter she worked for the esteemed music production company, Thatch Music, as a Music Director and Production Coordinator on events such as the SA Music Awards, the 2014 Presidential Inauguration, the Metro FM awards, Glo Caf soccer awards and many other broadcast events locally and internationally under the mentorship of James Bassingthwaighte.
- Thapelo had a memorable journey as a finalist on the first season of The Voice South Africa. She has since worked as a music director and a performer at the South African Tourism Awards and had the honour of being the first female music director for the Castle Lite Hip Hop Herstory event that celebrated women in Hip Hop and the arts. She also
- enjoyed a three year tenure as senior music director and vocalist for Rhema Bible Church Randburg. Thapelo’s journey opened up opportunities for her to perform in Belgium, France, UK, Swaziland and all over South Africa. She’s worked with local and international artists such Loyiso Bala, Karen Zoid, Lira, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Yvonne Chaka
- Chaka, Siphokazi, Oliver Mtukudzi, Kabelo Mabalane, Micasa, The Soil, Flavour Nabania, Omawumi, PSquare, The Muffinz and others.
- Thapelo also has a passion for songwriting and she has enjoyed collaborating with local artists, Zarcia, Big Dreamz, Benjamin Jephta, Leagan Starchild, Rhema Worship and on various film projects. After many years of working and honing her gifts in the background, Thapelo knew that 2021 would be her season to step forward as an artist and share her musical gifts with the world. On Friday, 1st October 2021 she released her debut single, Ikhaya. On Friday 29 Oct she released her album, Tapestry, all original material that she co-wrote with composer, producer and music director, Llewellyn George. The album features legendary poet, Lebo Mashile and one of SA’s best new jazz artists, The SN Project. Along with the following accomplished musicians, Llewellyn George, Leagan Starchild Breda, Carlo Jooste, Thando Magickeys Mathebula, Benjamin Jephta, Raymond Green, David Cousins, Nathan Smith, Evert van Niekerk, Liezel Le Roux, Susan Mouton, and Violeta Miljkovic.
- The Tapestry album was mixed by Goran Josipovic of Moya Sound and mastered by Kevin Blackler of Blackler Mastering.
- “We all know what it feels like to be human and if you have been on Earth long enough you will have experienced the complexities that come with being human. This is what makes each one of us a unique and colourful Tapestry of life. At the end of the day we all want to know that we are loved and accepted and this is what my music seeks to achieve. My hope is that this musical offering will give you a space on this Earth where you feel like you occupy God’s thoughts and know that you are not alone”. – THAPELO LEKOANE