On Tuesday, 30 May 2023 South African culinary greats were honoured at the 5th annual Luxe-Jonsson Workwear Restaurant Awards.
The prestigious awards, which honour the finest contributions to the South African restaurant industry, were announced to an intimate audience of 100 leading industry figures at the trendy Ethos Restaurant in Rosebank, Johannesburg.
Well renowned SA chef and television personality, Tumi Mogoai MC’ed the event in style. While those in attendance included celebrated chefs; Ryan Cole, Lorna Maseko, Johannes Richer and David Higgs. As well as award winning cookbook authors Mogau Seshoene aka the Lazy makoti and Zanele Van Zyl of Cooking with Zanele fame.
The winners were chosen by a team of anonymous food critics as well as by a popular public digital vote. The panel of judges was convened by Chad Fourie, Chief Judge of the Luxe Restaurant Awards and Managing Director of The Hospitality Counsel.
“Over the past nine months, the Luxe Restaurant Award judges have been seeking out exemplary dining experiences in South Africa. Tonight, we have given these leading restaurants and chefs a platform to shine and celebrate their culinary genius.” Chad Fourie
Overall, twenty-five winners were announced from a wide and inclusive set of categories that ranged from the Culinary Innovation Award to the Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year, with the winner of the prestigious Chef of the Year Johannes Richer taking home the top honours, as well as Salsify at the Roundhouse walking away as Restaurant of the Year.
The 2023 Luxe Restaurant Awards category winners are as follows:
- Restaurant of the Year: Salsify at the Roundhouse
- Chef of the Year: Johannes Richter
- New Restaurant of the Year: Post and Pepper
- Style Award: MAMASAMBA
- Bar of the Year: Zioux
- Culinary Innovation Award: Wandile Mabaso
- Culinary Media Personality of the Year: Lorna Maseko
- Culinary Rising Star Award: Jess Van Dyk
- Food/Lifestyle Series of the Year: Homegrown Tastes South Africa
- Pastry Chef of the Year: Meg Meikle
- Pioneer Award: David Higgs
- Service Excellence Award: SIBA – The Restaurant
- Sustainability Award: LivingRoom at Summerhill
- African Restaurant of the Year: Clara’s Barn
- Bistro of the Year: Embarc
- Café of the Year: Just Teddy
- Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: La Petite Colombe
- Grillhouse of the Year: Marble
- Hotel Restaurant of the Year: SIBA – The Restaurant
- International Restaurant of the Year: TANG CAPE TOWN
- Lifestyle Restaurant of the Year: Artistry
- Pop Up Experience of the Year: Vusi Ndlovu – Edge at the Mount Nelson
- Street Food Experience of the Year: Ramenhead
- Wine Service Award: Victor Okolo
- People’s Choice Award: Homespan Blouberg
The Luxe Restaurant Awards is created by The Hospitality Counsel (HOSCO) in partnership with industry leading food critics and sponsored by Jonsson Workwear.