At the time of resigning from employment, it is very essential to provide the company with a professional resignation letter that will officially inform your employer about the decision of your leaving the company. With this formal professional Resignation letter, you can leave a strong and positive impression on you as an employee of the company. Leaving a company can certainly help you in the future as you may need a reference from your employer or your supervisor. Apart from that, it is always a good idea to put this important information about leaving the company in writing so that no question arises on the last working day when you will depart the company. That is the reason why everybody looks for the best letter template for writing the resignation letter. In this article, we have come up with a sample to show you how to write an effective resignation before leaving the company:
<Current Job Title>
<Current Organization’s address>
<Your Email ID>
Dear Mr./Ms./Mrs. [Last Name]:
With this letter, I hereby announce my resignation from the post of Marketing Executive for XYZ Corporation. My last working day will be on 1st June 2019.
I appreciate the opportunities, guidance, and support that you have given me over the last four years.
I wish you and the company the best of success in the future.
If I can assist with the transition to my replacement, please do let me know.
Signature (hard copy letter)
Thus you have seen while writing the resignation the most important thing is to ensure that it is simple, straightforward, and short. The letter should always be brief and to-the-point. However, there is no obligation to share the details of why you have taken the decision to leave the company or where you are moving ahead. But the most important things that you have to ensure in your resignation letter are:
- The fact that you are resigning from the post
- Your last working day
- Thanking your boss for giving you the opportunity to work in his team
Apart from these three vital factors, you should make sure that you also maintain the following:
- Placing your personal details and date: The first thing that you need to provide in the resignation letter is your personal details such as your name, current job title, current organization, current organization’s address and your email id and then you have to specify the date of the day when you are submitting the resignation letter on the left-top side.
- Using proper salutation: Salutation is very essential for any business or professional letter. Resignation letter is also a kind of professional letter and you have to maintain proper salutation while writing it. As you have seen that in the above sample letter proper salutation such as “Dear Mr./Ms./Mrs. [Last Name]:” is used. The most important thing to note is that you have to use colon (:).
- Stating the intent of resigning clearly: The next most important thing is to directly specify the decision of your resignation without mentioning the reason for taking the decision. Along with that, you should straightway clear your last working day so that the company can start the transition plan of training, hire the right candidate in your replacement and proceed the formalities for your impending departure.
- Offer to assist the company in your transition: As seen in the above sample it is also a good idea to tell your boss for giving you an opportunity to assist them in the transition period. Actually, when you send or handover your resignation letter to your supervisor they have to do your duties until and unless another new candidate is hired in your replacement which becomes an added pressure for the company and your boss. Apart from that after hiring a new candidate your supervisor has to train him/her. Hence, it is a positive sign if you tell your boss to let you know if you can of any help in your transition period.
Using proper closing terms: Lastly, as shown in the above sample you should use the proper closing term while you end your letter.