As we celebrate the achievements of the 2023 matriculants, the shadow of unemployment and financial barriers to education cast a daunting cloud over many of our promising youth. Despite having career aspirations across diverse industries, bright minds find themselves lacking the much-needed education, connections, experience, or skills necessary to pursue their dreams. Shaun Lamont, the Managing Director of First Group Hotels and Resorts, however, believes there is a beacon of hope – the hospitality sector.
“While qualifications are prerequisites for many positions within the hospitality industry, numerous roles only require candidates to have a matric certificate and a great attitude. There are so many opportunities, ranging from roles in waitering and front of house to housekeeping and beyond. Plus, the potential to swiftly climb the managerial ladder is entirely dependent on how hard the candidate is prepared to work,” says Lamont.
He adds that choosing a career in hospitality is about more than serving guests and managing accommodations. He believes that it can be a transformative journey that gifts individuals with a versatile skill set, fostering adaptability, resilience, and unparalleled customer service. These invaluable skills not only hold significance within the hospitality sector but also lay a robust foundation for success across any industry.
Lamont offers five additional reasons why Matrics might consider starting their career in hospitality:
1. Exceptional Communication Skills: The hospitality industry thrives on effective communication. Working with diverse guests and team members hones communication skills, a fundamental asset in any profession.
2. Problem-Solving Expertise: Hospitality professionals often encounter unexpected challenges that require quick thinking and creative problem-solving. This ability to adapt and find solutions is transferable to any workplace scenario.
3. Cultural Competence: Exposure to a diverse range of guests provides hospitality professionals with cultural awareness and sensitivity. These qualities are increasingly crucial in today’s globalised business environment.
4. Teamwork: Collaboration is at the heart of hospitality. Working seamlessly with colleagues from various departments fosters teamwork and cooperation, skills highly sought after in any industry.
5. Customer-Centric Focus: Putting customers first is a cornerstone of hospitality. This mindset instils a commitment to customer satisfaction that is applicable across all professional domains.
“The skills acquired in the hospitality industry form the foundation for success in any career. Whether it’s communication, problem-solving, or a customer-centric approach, the lessons learned in hospitality are transferable and invaluable for navigating the complexities of diverse industries, transcending the boundaries of the service sector,” concludes Lamont.