Runners and walkers can take a positive step by participating in one of the standout challenges of the Absa RUN YOUR CITY (RYC) Series on Strava – the World Cleanup Day Challenge on Saturday, 16 September 2023.
“Plastic pollution remains an urgent global concern, especially for our oceans. We’re calling on the RYC Community to step forward and commit to small, manageable adjustments,” says Michael Meyer, Managing Director of Stillwater Sports and Founder of the Absa RYC Series. “No matter your location, stand together with runners worldwide to honor our shared commitment to the environment by taking on the RYC Series World Cleanup Day Challenge on Strava on World Cleanup Day. Say no to single-use plastics and play your part in promoting a sustainable future.”
“The World Cleanup Day Challenge on Strava will take place on Saturday, 16 September and participants have the freedom to select their preferred running distance, with the only requirement being that it’s completed between 05:00 and 23:00,” adds Meyer. “We would also like to encourage all participants to pick up any plastic litter that you might come across during your run, contributing to cleaner cities for all. Share your activities, routes, and photos with our global community by posting them to the RYC Series Strava Club page, using the hashtags #RunYourCity and #RunClean. All participants stand a chance to win a stylish pair of PUMA NITRO running shoes.”
STRAVA CHALLENGE: RYC Series Running Club on Strava / World Cleanup Day Challenge
Date: Saturday 16 September 2023
Time: between 05:00 – 23:00
Activity: any distance of your choice
Route: Runners can choose their own location and route
How to join the Challenge:
- Runners are to “join” the RYC Series Running Club on Strava: https://www.strava.com/clubs/rycs
- If runners have not done so yet, they will need to create a Strava Account before they can join the club.
- Runners are to join the World Cleanup Day Challenge event on the RYC Series Running Club by clicking on the orange “I’m in” button displayed next to the Event listing.
- Runners must record their run using a smartphone (Android or iPhone device) or smart watch (Garmin, etc.)
- All runners and walkers who complete the challenge and share their activity to the RYC Series Running Club on Strava within the stipulated time frame stand the chance of winning a pair of PUMA NITRO running shoes.
- Only runners residing in South Africa will be eligible to win the PUMA NITRO running shoes.
- All activities logged during the event period must be uploaded to Strava no later than 23:00 on Saturday 16 September 2023.
EVENT INFORMATION: 2023 Absa RUN YOUR CITY JOBURG 10K
|Date:||Sunday 24 September 2023|
|Start & Finish Venue:||Mary Fitzgerald Square, Newtown, Johannesburg|
|Entry Fee:||Standard Entry:
· Licenced Runners R240.00
· Unlicenced Runners R240.00 plus Temp Licence R60.00
Standard Entry Includes:
· Absa RYC Series Event Performance T-shirt
· Absa Peak Cap
· Absa Drawstring Bag
· Absa Socks
· Absa Shoelaces
· DHL Water Bottle
· Race Number with Timing Chip
· Lively Sponsor Route Entertainment Points
· Amazing Route Entertainment Points from Start to Finish
· 2 x Refreshment Stations on Route
· Tog Bag Drop and Collect Service
· Absa RYC Series Finisher’s Medal
· Transport Service (to start and from finish)
CHARITY SUPPORT: When entering the Absa RYC JOBURG 10K online entrants can choose to support four local charities: 1. Reach For A Dream Foundation (RFAD), 2. Cotlands, 3. Johannesburg SPCA and 4. Johannesburg Heritage Foundation.
PRIZE PURSE: The Absa RYC Series boasts an impressive, combined Prize Purse of R 1 560 000.00 in 2023. Each of the five events will be assigned R312 000.00 in prize money of which R252 000.00 will be allocated towards the Open Category (R126 000.00 going to Top 10 Open Men’s and R126 000.00 to Top 10 Open Women’s), and R60 000 towards Age Categories (Junior, 40 – 49, 50 – 59, 60 – 69 and 70+ Age Categories). To view the prize purse breakdown please visit https://runyourcityseries.com/
WIN A CHERY TIGGO 4 PRO URBAN VEHICLE: One lucky entrant will go home with a stylish Chery Tiggo 4 Pro Urban Vehicle valued at over R308 900.00 compliments of the Absa RYC Series and event partners Chery South Africa and Absa Vehicle and Asset Finance. To be in the running to win this fantastic prize the following three boxes need to be ticked: you need to enter the event (and pay the entry fee), collect your race number (during the stipulated race pack collection times) and be on the start line on event day.
Hashtag: #RunYourCity #AbsaRunYourCity #fueledbyNITRO