Hezbollah Helping Hamas Broadcast Reach Israeli Capital – Report

0

The Gaza-based radio station Al-Aqsa radio, run by Hamas (acknowledged as a terror group by Israel, Canada, the US and the EU), has started sending signals into Israel, the Times of Israel reports, citing an Israeli satellite imagery company. This has become possible due to a new tower, set up in a Lebanese village close to the country’s border with Israel. According to the outlet, Iranian-backed Hezbollah assisted its installment.

The outlet cites the CEO of Sat View Nissan Cohen as saying that the new tower’s radio signal is “very, very powerful”, reaching listeners in Tel Aviv and disrupting local broadcasters.

“Three media outlets turned to us and said there was something disrupting [their broadcasts] on frequency 101.6 [FM]. So we went to check. We followed [the broadcasts] north, got to the Lebanese border and realised it’s coming from there”, Cohen told the Army Radio.

READ MORE: Hezbollah Planned Surprise Attack to ‘Cause Earthquake’ in Israel – IDF Chief

Interestingly enough, the signal’s power source is reportedly located close to a site where the Israel Defense Forces have been trying to eliminate secret tunnels, believed to have been dug by Hezbollah from Lebanon to Israel.

The news about the Hamas-supported radio station comes hot on the heels of an Israeli announcement that Operation Northern Shield, launched to thwart possible attacks against the country by demolishing these secret passages, is ending. IDF Spokesman Brig. Gen. Ronen Manelis stated that they had discovered a sixth and largest tunnel, also reported to be the last one, crossing into the country and are now working on its destruction.

Lebanese-Israeli relations have been poor for decades, but tensions have escalated in recent years  as Israel has accused Hezbollah of being used by Iran to wage a proxy war on Israel. The last lengthy conflict between them happened in 2006, with Israeli forces invading Lebanon after Hezbollah kidnapped two Israeli soldiers in a cross-border raid. It lasted over a month, claimed the lives of over 1,300 people and was halted by a UN-brokered ceasefire.

© Sputnik / Yakov Andreev

Sputnik News

South Africa Today – World News – Middle East

Related Post

Men Get Ready to Join the Grooming Bandwagon Dubai, United Arab Emirates-Tuesday 22 January 2019 Most men are ready to grow moustaches, but the fear of spotting a white hair might shun t...
Russian Military Discovers Arms Cache Abandoned by... "Here you can see the arsenal which was seized over the past 24 hours from illegal armed groups which had previously conducted terrorist attacks in ...
Syria Belongs to Syrians, Turkey to Give it Back t... Commenting on the upcoming Wednesday meeting with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, President Erdogan stated that he is planning to discuss the...
Prof Explains Why US Pull-Out From Syria Will Go o... Sputnik: The US Defence Department inspector general said that the number of Islamic State * fighters in Iraq and Syria is as high as 30,000. I don't...
Disclaimer: The views of authors published on South Africa Today are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of South Africa Today. By viewing, visiting, using, or interacting with SouthAfricaToday.net, you are agreeing to all the provisions of the Terms of Use Policy and the Privacy Policy.