Italian Fraudsters Who Set Up Fake Hovercraft Scam Pocket 1.4 Million Euros

0

The European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF) says Italian fraudsters stole 1.4 million euros from the EU after an elaborate scam involving a fake hovercraft invention.

The gang, who teamed up with criminals in Britain, France and Romania, claimed to be building two hovercraft prototypes which could help emergency response teams reach remote areas hit by catastrophic flooding or earthquakes.

OLAF and Italy’s Guardia di Finanza financial police launched Operation Paper Castle and eventually busted the scam.

Investigators discovered the Italian fraudsters had done little or no work on the prototype and had lied about having the resources required to finish the job.

British Company ‘Only Existed on Paper’

The gang had claimed to be an international consortium but their British partner was a company that existed only on paper and had been set up by an Italian couple.

The crooked consortium created a fraudulent paper trail, claiming to have paid out for a series of parts and services which were entirely fictional.

Having received the paperwork the EU released the funds to the Italians, who then siphoned off the money into their own bank accounts.

Money Used to Pay Off Mortgage on Italian Castle 

Some of the money had been used to pay off a mortgage on a castle in Italy which was facing foreclosure. The castle, which was owned by the fictional British company, has now been seized by OLAF.

Operation Paper Castle investigators analysed 12,000 financial transactions and payments and found the Italian couple had also set up a US company in Delaware, which was used as a vehicle for their machinations.   

In November last year, OLAF passed their report to the Public Prosecutor’s Office of Genoa and to the City of London Police in the UK.

They also made recommendations to the Directorate-General for Research and Innovation of the European Commission about how they could tighten up their procedures.

The Guardia di Finanza is investigating several people on suspicion concerned for embezzlement and fraud against the EU, false accounting, fraudulent bankruptcy and making fraudulent statements.

OLAF has not named any of the suspects. 

© Sputnik/ Alexey Vitvitsky

Sputnik News

South Africa Today – World News – Europe

Related Post

Macedonian President Pledges to Boycott 'Harm... Ivanov has been consistently opposing the deal. Back in June, he refused to sign the bill on the agreement into law, saying that he would not advocat...
Is France Becoming a Dangerous Place for Women? On the night of September 12, the husband of 36-year-old Estelle stabbed her 14 times for “tuning the TV up too loud,” the newspaper Le Parisien repo...
Filmmaker Kusturica Tells Sputnik About Russia... Emir Kusturica says Russia has a "very peaceful" and positive role to play in the Balkan region. "I think that what the Russians, for the last 200 ye...
Kosovo to Israel: Recognize Us, Get Another Embass... Hefty portions of the world still do not recognize Kosovo as a state a decade since its unilateral declaration of independence from Serbia in Februar...
Disclaimer: The views of authors published on South Africa Today are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of South Africa Today. By viewing, visiting, using, or interacting with SouthAfricaToday.net, you are agreeing to all the provisions of the Terms of Use Policy and the Privacy Policy.