Barbados is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and one of the most popular tropical islands in the world. It has its location at the furthest and most easterly point in the Caribbean, and as a result, the island is more or less protected from hurricanes. If you are a first-time visitor or even if you have been many times before, here are six great tips for your visit;
- If you are arriving in the afternoon into Grantley International Airport, this is the time when all the international flights land at more or less the same time. We highly recommend that you take the fast track service offered by the airport. They will meet you at the grounds of the aircraft and escort you past all the lines through immigration. They will then wait with you while you collect your luggage and again escort you past hundreds of waiting travellers to your ground transportation. For the time saved and for the efficiency of the service, it is an incredible value.
- First-time visitors to the Island of Barbados can sometimes be unsure of which part of the island to stay. There are three main parts. The West Coast, The South Coast and the East Coast. If you love a bit of luxury together with fabulous restaurants and some of the world’s best beaches in the world, then the West Coast if for you. If you are a lover of great nightlife, restaurants, bars and lots of fun and activities, then the south coast is the place for you. On the other hand, if you prefer peace and quiet together with nature and raw beauty, then the East coast of Barbados is the best option.
- Once you have decided on which part of the island of Barbados to visit, the next step is to decide on whether to choose a hotel or villa. Barbados features many great hotels as well as hundreds of stunning villas and vacation rentals, so we highly recommend you take your time and speak with an expert. When you do, check with them that they have visited the properties they are suggesting,and also ensure they have vetted all the properties. Make sure the company you are booking with are comparing and contrasting the different options and that they provide a matching service. The other thing to check is do they provide a full and complimentary pre-arrival concierge service. This concierge service takes a lot of the stress out of organizing a vacation. They should be able to provide services such as car hire, ground transportation, airport fast-tracking, restaurant reservations and recommendations on various excursions. Two companies that come highly recommended and have consistent five star reviews on Trust Pilot are https://www.exceptionalvillas.com/barbados and https://www.villasbarbados.com/
- Barbados has one of the best climates in the Caribbean. The high season is between the end of November and the end of April. These are the driest and less humid months. They are also the most popular months which command the highest rates. The summer months in Barbados from May to the end of October are still lovely. The temperatures are only one or two degrees hotter, and it does rain occasionally, but the sun is never far away. It is a great time to travel if you are looking forgreat value. The rates can be up to 50% cheaper than in the winter months, and you don’t lose out on facilities. Most of the restaurants and attraction in Barbados remain open year-round, so it can be a win-win to go in the off season.
- If you do choose to travel in the high season, especially during the holiday weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year, make sure you or your concierge service book all your restaurants, car hire, water sports and excursions and all the Best Things to do in Barbados, well in advance. Demand is extremely high and cannot be guaranteed without bookings.
- Barbados has a great balance between the beautiful sophisticated tropical island and local Caribbean Culture. Make sure you get to experience both when you are visiting the island. The West Coast has some amazing restaurants. Some of them are amongst the best in the world. The Cliff, for example, is stunning with an incredible atmosphere, location and exquisite food. There is wonderful shopping too. The Limegrove Lifestyle center offers an excellent selection of designer shops. But equally, there are great buys in some of the Barbados markets if you want to experience some of the more cultural shopping opportunities. Other wonderful things to do in Barbados if you fancy living like a local is to attend the Oistins Fish Fry which takes place every Friday or travel on one of the local reggae buses which travel up and down the coast every day. They cost very little and not only do you get from A to B but you will also feel like a local. Lastly, try one of the hundreds of Barbados Rum Shacks. You will come home with lots of stories to tell your friends and family!